Sunday, July 4, 2010

My First Thread...

I named my blog after an RPG I played on my Playstation 1. Since then, I have been using this to describe my theory on fate and life. I have yet to find someone who has also played this game though lol. Basically the game offers two different plots with two lead characters; completing both plots will give the player a holistic storyline to weave together, thus a true ending or conclusion to the game. As with life, the paths of different people often weave and split, depending on immutable destiny and choice.

Yet destiny and fate cannot be used interchangeably. It's believing in fate vs. carving out your destiny, chance vs. choice. Fate is the belief that there is a sequence of events that is inevitable but changeable through destiny. Destiny is the product of a belief that what we become will be determined by what we do.

Some call fate just "coincidence", but I believe that it is more than that. The chance of meeting someone or doing something is very slim given the right time, place, and circumstances. What are the odds? Personally I believe that there is a set degree of both working together; fate only takes you so far, then it is up to us to choose our own destiny by the different paths we choose. It is what we choose to do with the moment that we are given in that time, place, and circumstance...

According to European mythology, there are three goddesses dispensing fate; they determine the events of the world through the mystic spinning of threads that represent individual human destinies.

According to an East Asian belief, the gods tie an invisible red string (referred to as the red thread of fate) around the ankles of men and women who are destined to be soul mates, regardless of time, place or circumstance. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break.

But back to the main reason why TOF is going to be the name of my art blog and design line. "Threads" can refer to the materialistic strings of fabric or to the invisible lines of fate and destinies interweaving. Out of all the paths I took, I was always led back by "fate" to my love for art and design, so this is me trying to follow that path...

1 comment:

  1. Threads Of Fate is such a surreal game....i'm honestly quite afraid to finish it, but i definitely want to!

    ReplyDelete